Thursday, June 07, 2007

Cody's Second Test

I didn't want to get too excited last week when I rode Cody along with Jeff on Axel and Steph on Kiko. I was optimistic that the chiropractic adjustment would help Cody feel better and would change his attitude, but with Kiko along it was hard to tell which factored into his mood. He was really great but I didn't want to jinx it. So this week Steph decided it was time to try and take Kalani on the trail. Tricia came along and rode Axel and I rode Cody. I'm still hesitant to say Cody's attitude change is just from the Chiropractor, but dang! He did so well once again - and no Kiko this time!

Kalani was quite a bit more hesitant than Kiko had been on her first ride. He was pretty sticky too. He'd stop and then refuse to move any more. But we made it through the meadow and through the woods and back without any major drama. Cody was an angel, I rode on a loose rein (proof in the photo) and he even almost walked down his favorite hill to run on. He seemed a little annoyed at Kalani if he got too close but I know they're buddies so I wasn't too concerned. He was probably just demonstrating his authority since Kalani hadn't been on the trail before.

So after a couple laps on top the hill we did a lap in the bottom of the hill pasture. Trotted over the log a few times. Cody did it once and then decided we had teased him long enough and it was time to go home. But he was still pretty well behaved. Axel tried his hand at jumping the log as well. I made a little video, but once again I will have to upload it later. Our next test will be just Cody and Axel on the trail, and perhaps just Cody on the trail. I should probably ride Cody a time or two more in lessons before switching back to Axel, just to build a better understanding of what Cody is looking for from me and what I'm trying to tell him.

Okay for some reason this particular video keeps failing when I try and upload it.

No comments: