Monday, August 20, 2007

Trail Ride #2

We know better than to think it'll actually rain when it looks like it might. Though after this week we're probably wrong. Last week we went for trail ride #2. This time Tricia brought down her trailer and two of her horses along with her niece. Kalani still needed practice so he was Steph's chosen mount, and I chose Corey who needs some attention before he goes off to his new job of therapy horse. Kalani did pretty well in the trailer this time. The ride for me was quite different than on Axel. Corey pretty much just bounces the whole time. In fact he booked along at lightning speed so much that we might have nearly doubled our ride distance from the week before. And Corey hasn't really been ridden this year yet.

On the way back it was evident that he was getting pretty tired. He was darn sweaty and kept scratching his face on his leg. At one point he stopped to scratch, at least I thought, and instead he just laid down with me on top! He's one of those horses that just buckles and bam, he's on the ground. Most horses go down front first then back end. Not Corey, so I really didn't even have a chance to pull him up or even bail before he hit the ground. So once I figured out where his legs were I bailed. I'm glad he's a short horse. He didn't roll, probably because he was saddled. So I got him back on his feet and paid very close attention the whole way back. I figured he'd be pretty sore so we gave him some aspirin with his dinner (which he didn't appreciate).

Kalani was a champ getting in the trailer this time so he's officially off the hook for this week. The plan, if it's not still raining, and the trail isn't 3 feet of mud, is to take Olly, Kiko, Corey, and Cody out. Cody will be our last challenge for trailering. He just doesn't really want to get in the trailer. Perhaps with Corey and Kiko along things might go a bit smoother. I'm giving Axel some time to rest, Steph's dad is going to ride him for our trail ride fund raiser and I guess he's a big guy. But he does like to mosey along so that will make Axel a happy camper.

No comments: