Thursday, January 10, 2008

Axel Learns Skijorring!

So I've waited too long to remember what it was we ended up doing but I will do my best. I got to the barn pretty early for once and started grooming Axel. I ended tacking him up and still no Tricia. So I grabbed Cody and started some ground work with him in the barn. When Tricia showed up she took Axel out in the pasture and rode him a while to warm him up. Cody and I worked on our backing skills and actually got to a point that he'd back next to me as I backed up mid "lead." So that was pretty cool. We ended by backing out of the barn a few times which also went pretty well, even with "help" from Kiko. So Tricia went to get her skis and I jumped up on Axel and got the rope ready. We ended up tying the rope to the saddle horn so I could actually steer. Tricia just held her end of the rope so she was able to let go if she ever needed to. Axel pulled like a champ. It wasn't actually much work because the snow was really icy and slick. He had one minor issue with the rope must have bumped him in the butt but Axel's minor issues are pretty unnoticeable. We went around the pasture several times in both directions at the walk and the trot. All of this was in the dark of course. So now we're looking forward to some more snow so we can skijor down the road and really get moving.

No comments: