Sunday, September 07, 2008

Guests

Yesterday since Loni was in town with Damin for the bachelor party we decided to go out and ride a bit while the boys were partying. I had debated on if I should put Loni on Cody or Axel. Usually I would put guests on Axel but since he's been a bit troublesome lately I thought maybe Cody would be a better choice for an inexperienced rider. So Loni and I fetched the horses from the pasture and got them both groomed up. We opted for western saddle and rope hack on Cody and dressage saddle on Axel (thank goodness for mounting blocks in the pasture). We started just in the side pasture to get the feel for things and see how it went. We walked and trotted a bit and everyone seemed well behaved and calm so we decided to venture out on the trail.

We did the usual trail loop minus the big hill (we took the short cut to the small overlook) and everyone was calm as could be. They both even walked down and up the little dip that they are notorious for trying to run. We even had a trot in the meadow near the end of the ride. Cody might have spent an inordinate amount of time with his head lower than usual. I'm not sure if he was trying to eat or trying to figure out the horse hair tassel on his mecate (I might have to retie that so it doesn't tickle him in the chin). And the more I think about it Axel had his head on the ground a lot too and not for eating. He kept smelling things that weren't visible at least to my eyes. There was one point when Cody tripped a bit and caught himself but scared Loni a bit. And on the way back I decided I wanted to canter Axel up the smallish hill between the woods to see if he'd do it without bucking. I told Loni I thought Cody would just trot to keep up but I guess I was wrong. He went right from a walk into a canter and gave her another little scare but it wasn't too major and he stopped right away.

We had a minor scare when we got back to the barn. Cody didn't see the horses on the way up and started freaking out once we dismounted. He actually ended up leading Loni back down to the pasture to find the rest of the herd. They were actually over in the new part of the pasture behind the house and he couldn't see them. All I could think was that the horses had gotten out again but I couldn't figure out how that was possible since we shut all the gates. Luckily Cody helped us find them.

When we got him back up to the barn and untacked we had brought some beer and apples as treats. I thought maybe the horse would like some Guiness but Cody and Axel turned up their noses and waited for the apples instead. We brought the bucket of beer out to the pasture to see if anyone else would enjoy some. In the end Papillon was the only one that drank any beer. Kalani and Kiko put their noses in it, Gunner put his nose in it and promptly backed away with the "smells bad" face, Poppy made the same "smells bad" face and Daley didn't care or grace us with his presence. So either my horses want ligher beer or they just don't like beer at all. I was kind of disappointed.

No comments: