Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Oh the Mud ...

Axel is getting around a bit more now

I just stopped out at the barn on Friday so I could groom some of the mud off the boys before we went to the farm for the weekend. And boy did they find the mud. Both Cody and Axel were caked in it.

Axel was feeling mostly okay. Belly swelling has reduced quite a bit again. His sheath is still not back to normal but looking a little better. His ringbone flare up seems a lot better, he's careful but he puts full weight on it. And finally his knee is still a bit puffy but he's getting around pretty well. He's got some pretty decent scabs going on his back right foot from mud fever. Friday when the vet's out and I have a lot of time it will be scab picking and disinfecting time. I might have to borrow a clippers as well and get his legs cleaned up.

So after I scraped all the mud off of him I set to work on Cody. I think Cody was worse, since his new found love of laying around all day. I promise he's going back to work soon. I noticed just how nasty Cody's sheath is and tried to gently pick some "stuff" off. Cody protested by trying to kick me. Guess who's getting their sheath cleaned next time he's sedated? Until then I guess I just have to work on desensitizing him "there."

I hope to get out and do something at the barn on Wednesday and then the vet is due on Friday so I took the day off so I hope it's nice out. It would be great to groom outside and not have to clean up all the hair ;)

No comments: