Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Getting Our Farm Ready


Since we're moving the boys out to our property in a couple weeks we've been trying to get ready a bit.  Jeff spent a good part of last weekend pounding in t-posts for some new fencing.  The grove has two sides already fenced (some might need a little reinforcing still) but we wanted to fence in some of the yard so we have less to mow and the horses have more space.

They dug up the grainery footings and plan to plant grass there.  That was going to be my pumpkin patch so I had to go to plan B on that and put the pumpkins in the barnyard at the inlaws farm.

Jeff and I both mowed this past weekend as well.  Hopefully it'll grow a little and be ready for the boys in two weeks, might actually have to mow again before then. The actual barn yard is so overgrown.  My FIL wants to lock the horses in there first and have them clean it up but I'm not sure they will eat the grass when it's that tall.  Guess we'll find out.  Looks like in total they will have about 5 acres give or take a little.  About half of that is trees and the other half is grass.


The red is the existing fence and the blue is the fence we're adding.  It's about 450ft by 500ft or so not counting the zig zaggy parts.  I'd love to fence in the parts east and south of the barn yard but I don't think we'll get to do that.  Maybe a temporary fence for a weekend so they can clean up the grass.  Can horses eat asparagus?  We have one patch left of that in the yard.

My shopping list keeps growing for what I need to get to have the horses on our own land.  Gonna need a few trips to Fleet Farm in the next two weeks I think.  And I still need to find a vet and a farrier out there.

No comments: