Monday, July 22, 2013

The boy's new home

Was finally back to the farm this weekend.  I think it had been two weeks since I had seen the boys. But they are doing well.  Looks like Cody and Axel might have dropped a tiny bit of weight, I'm going to blame it on the heat from last week.  Cuz they are getting a tiny bit of grain right now that they weren't before and they have plenty of grass.  So who knows.  It's not drastic but after two weeks of not seeing them they looked a tiny bit ribby.  At this point they look fit, if they lost more then I'd be concerned.  Axel could stand to bit on the lean side with his arthritis, the last thing he needs is extra weight.



Haji is looking a little better.  Slowly but surely I guess.  The hubby thought he seemed peppier, more energy.  It's a little tough keeping Cody and Axel from chasing him off from his grain but it sounds like A, Cody and Axel's previous owner who is feeding for me, is making frequent trips to visit them and feed them. Sounds like he is actually making more frequent visits than the two feedings, so I guess he's enjoying having them around again.  All the horses nicker like mad when someone comes up, it's pretty funny.  We fenced off more of the yard for them to graze on weekends when we're around and so we don't have to mow as much :) At this rate the whole property will be fenced in.



Saturday I went out to get the new fence ready and feed and stuff while Daniel was napping.  And I ended up saddling up Cody.  He was very unhappy that I tied him up to tack and he was away from his buddies.  I did a couple circles on the lead and then got on and he was much better.  We rode around the "pasture" for a while, I figured better to stay in the fence line and feel him out.  Trotted a bit and then tried to explore some of their paths through the grove but Cody was not terribly willing to go away from his friends.  Decided he was calm enough so we went outside of the fence and rode around in the unfenced part of the yard.  Even cantered a bunch and he was calm and not spazzy.  I then pushed him a bit further and we walked down to the stop sign, still our property but out of sight of the other horses.  He was slow as he usually is leaving but nothing more than that.  Maybe I'll ride down to the farm next time.  Or maybe I'll get A to get on Axel and we'll go around somewhere.



Friday is new farrier day, so that'll be interesting and kind of nerve racking.  Will he show up?  Will he be good?  Will the boys behave?  Etc etc.

No comments: