Thursday, August 03, 2006

Poor Axel

Wouldn't you know it. I get Jeff to come out to the barn, con him into carrying my camera to photograph my lesson, and Axel is hurt. I tell ya, that horse hurts himself more than anyone I know.

We were running a little late so Tricia had already gotten to the barn. Tom and Stephanie were out working with Kiko and Kalani and Tricia was grooming Axel. She had the curry out and was currying his back and he apparently almost dropped to his knees from pain. So when we got there she was poking around trying to figure out where the exact spot was. She hopped up bareback and rode him around as well and determined it was on his left side, right near his spine, somewhere in the vicinity of the last few Thoratic or first few Lumbar vertebrae. She could poke him with just her finger and he'd curl up in a ball and almost fall over. He was in good spirits though, his ears never once twitched when she poked him. And just sitting on him didn't bother him, just when she'd get back on that sore spot.

So there was no riding for me. We half considered maybe having a lesson on Cody but he's just not to the point where he'll work with us willingly when his herd isn't out there. I just didn't feel like that kind of fight. I told Tricia about my troubles getting Cody to even acknowledge me while trying to do some Parelli stuff so she showed me a few things. Mostly she got him moving around a bit, didn't concentrate on the particular game I had been trying to play. It's interesting to watch because you can see he just doesn't want to give his full attention to the handler. After maybe 10 minutes, of her asking him to move and really meaning it, he started to follow her around licking his lips. Finally letting down that guard. My problem seems to be a lack of gumption. With Cody you really have to mean it, and wake him up. Guess I'll have to work on that. I'm just too much of a pushover.

Steph was evaluating Kiko and Kalani and I would have liked to stay longer to see how that went but we were meeting Tricia's husband to look at the wedding photos Jeff had taken. So we had to head out. I'll be gone this weekend anyways, so Axel gets another week off until Tuesday to see how he mends. I've gotta get the vet out for a Coggins before the trail ride so I'll see how he's feeling Tuesday and then call the vet. Steph's got a chiropractor I could call if the vet thinks it'd help. Poor Axel, he's been trying to tell me he hurt by being stubborn when I try to lead him up the hill, but I just wasn't getting it. It's hard for me to tell if he's walking funny since he kind of walks funny all the time. And I haven't been using the curry, I usually just use the regular brush when I groom unless there's tons of mud. Guess I have to pay more attention.

No comments: