Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Quick Update on a Long Night - Dressage Lesson #11

The boys had their blood drawn for Coggins tests today. I groomed and fly sprayed everyone while I was waiting for Steph or Tricia to arrive. Steph worked with Kiko and Kalani and I warmed up Axel. Tricia arrived and we worked in the pasture on our usual tasks, bending and turning corners and keeping up the trot. Axel did pretty well. We pushed him past his cranky point again this evening. So far it works out ok to push him. Hope it only gets better. He really picks up on the patterns we ride, after a couple times through I don't have to direct him so much and I can concentrate on keeping him going and getting him using his butt. And even when he does get annoyed, he seems to just give us a warning like "oh common are we done yet or what" but he keeps going. Which is good since it takes quite a bit of energy to get him out of the paddock in the first place!

Afterwards Steph and I took Corey and Cody out for a trail ride. We're on bit #3 for Cody. This time a Polo Mouth Loose Jaw bit. He seemed to like it quite a bit. And it allows me to let him have a long rein. I do have to add a curb chain though, our brakes weren't too great. I'll try the bit a couple more times and see how he does. He usually does pretty well the first few times I try a new bit (first a loose ring snaffle, then a D Ring snaffle, now the curb bit). We shall see. He certainly wasn't perfect, neither was Corey. But we made it through in one piece. This trail ride fundraiser in September might be interesting :>

Oh geez, I almost forgot. On our way back to the barn from our trail ride we took the horses down to the swampy area where the log is that I like to make Corey jump. I was on Cody so I took him over the jump expecting just a trot over it or even a walk. Started at a walk, trotted maybe 2 steps in front of the jump, and he jumped the log! An actual jump. Of course he ran out of it, but hey! Cody jumped! Hehe.

No comments: