Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Dressage Lesson #20

Apparently Axel went on a little sight seeing adventure yesterday before dinner. Tom came out to feed and all the horses were in the paddock and front pasture calling. He could hear another horse calling back from a distance. He looked around and noticed something was not right when he realized Axel was missing. Assuming the worst he grabbed a halter and lead rope and headed down the back pasture. He noticed some hoof prints on the wrong side of the fence near the one end of the pasture near the creek. As he came around to the opposite side of the pasture there's Axel, standing on the bridge waiting for someone to open the gate for him. Not sure how long he had been waiting, he had relieved himself on the bridge while standing there so he must have been waiting for a while. So I'm glad he made it back but yikes, maybe I should consider getting the horses microchipped just in case.

So after I dug all the burrs out of his forelock, mane, and tail, Axel was good as new. It was back to riding this time. Axel was acting kind of weird at first, really foaming up a lot with gross green foam. He wouldn't drink any water so we just went on with our lesson. He was pretty spunky at first for a few seconds. He slowed down a bit once we started working which meant a bit of leg work on my part. We were working on getting him to have some momentum. Tricia hopped on for a few minutes so I could see the difference in momentum and no momentum. Boy he's looking good though. I got back on and Tricia tortured me with some rider stretches which promptly left me with cramps in both my upper legs. Then she tortured me even more by taking away my stirrups to work on some sitting trot and keeping momentum. I'm still very bouncy but she said my leg position is a lot better without stirrups. My response was that I was using my legs to hold me on the horse. So all in all it went very well and we're making progress with backing under saddle. I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow though.

Jeff and I have a trail ride planned for tomorrow. Supposed to be the nicest day of the week.

No comments: