Monday, November 27, 2006

Gorgeous Saturday and Sunday

I drove out to the barn on Saturday and what did I find? A hay wagon full of hay ready to be unloaded. There was a bunch of family types running around chasing kids and dogs so my ride wasn't very long. I tried to get my goofy IR remote on my camera to work but it didn't quite do what I expected and I was embarrassed to do more experimenting in front of a bunch of people. Hehe. I rode around the pasture a bit before I started getting quite warm. I didn't want Axel to sweat too much again so we decided to stop. Plus one of the dogs was named Axel and they kept yelling at him and I think it really confused Axel the horse! So when I was done riding and had put all my junk away I helped haul hay into the barn. Luckily the bales were not very heavy. The hay looked pretty nice though.

Sunday after our little sleepover at Tricia's, Stephanie and I went back out to the barn to do some work with the horses. She still had an hour left to work with Kiko from the past week. Instead of riding we decided to take the horses for a walk across the bridge and into the woods. Kiko and Kalani haven't been over there yet so it would be a good learning experience. We started with Kiko and Cody. Cody was actually just about an angel with Kiko around. He acts a lot more respectful on the lead than he does under saddle. He even walked up and down the little dip he always wants to run on. Kiko was just fine on the trail as well. We had one minor fight in the usually spot at the top of the hill on the way back. I don't know what his deal is, we were already heading back and he was acting like a total fool. Trying to rear and spin around. Somehow we're going to have to figure out what to do with him. As soon as we started walking down the hill he was fine, especially if his nose was right up Kiko's butt. He even walked the rest of the way back to the barn on a loose lead. I did lunge him and do some ground work when we got back to the barn to try and show him that the barn isn't all that great and it meant working.

It was so warm at this point we lost all our jackets and went to work with Axel and Kalani. Kalani had a tendency to be a bit more spooky so we paired him up with Axel who's as bombproof as they come. The benefits for Axel were that he had a saddle put on him and didn't have to lug around a rider. Axel led like a pro but he really wanted to eat more than anything. I spent a lot of time trying to get him to not eat. It took Kalani a few times across the bridge to really get the feel for it. On the way back he actually lead across the bridge and Axel followed. Kalani was pretty good on the trail on the way out, but on the way back he was acting up and trying to run over Steph. After some ground work with him he calmed down and we went back to the barn in peace. In total we were out there about 2.5 hours. It was a good way to spend a warm November day, that's for sure!

No comments: