Monday, March 26, 2007

Double Update

The last two times I went out to the barn I didn't actually ride. Last Tuesday (March 20) I showed up and Stephanie was out grooming Kiko and Kalani with intensions to work with them again. It was super windy and all the horses were worked up. The pasture was still a mess and the round pen wasn't any better. Of course the road had dried so it was rocky and hard. I made the executive decision to cancel the lesson and go to the bar instead. I don't think there was any complaining on part of the horses. I did groom up both Cody and Axel and Steph and I fed everyone before we left. I also snuck Cody and Axel's wormer in their feed buckets so it was a relief to get that all taken care of for the spring.

Saturday, after Barn Cleanup for WCR, Steph and I went out to see the horses again. We just planned on more grooming and this time we remembered to bring the clipperss. Kiko and Kalani were going to get their bridle paths clipped and Axel needed is ankles clipped. I groomed Cody again and then groomed Corey a bit since he was standing there. Steph chased Kiko around after Kalani decided the clippers was too scary. Because Kiko refused to be caught, Cody joined in on the chasing and they were both a muddy mess by the time it was over. Steph did finally catch Kiko and introduced her to the clippers but didn't actually do any cutting. Axel stood like a champ (or maybe he was napping) while Steph clipped both his back feet. We're trying a preemptive strike against the mud fever this year. With his hair clipped off around his legs I can see better and keep his feet cleaner. Hopefully that will work. Basically she just clipped off his white socks in the back.

Of course it rained this weekend but it's supposed to be 75F today. I'm hoping that will dry everything out before my lesson tomorrow. It'll be nice to have some room to ride again instead of crammed in the round pen.

No comments: