Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dressage Lesson #31

The rain held off enough to have a lesson last night. Though I'm completely exhausted from being stretched thin the past 2 weeks. I had time to groom Cody first and then work on Axel. It's mud and shedding season, ick. I warmed Axel up before Tricia arrived and he was doing pretty well at the walk. We did okay at the trot at first but it kind of fell apart. Too much yanking with my inside rein, so we worked on some long rein exercises. I could blame it on all sorts of things, not having a flat arena area to work, Axel not being able to do more than one thing at a time, I'm still horribly insecure and that affects my ability to ride, I hunch over, stick out my toes, and don't sit properly. Urg, kind of frustrating.

I actually rode on Monday at WCR and that was a big workout. We worked on the pattern for the Instructor Certification and I was beat. It was hot and we had walked 2.5 miles at work on a break and I couldn't catch my breath. So I'm sure that didn't lend well to my lesson last night. It's surprisingly difficult to keep riding a pattern, even a short one, and we were in the big outdoor arena. I wonder how the schooling show is going to go in August. Axel's never worked in a large flat area or in a sand arena. It'll sure be interesting, that's for sure.

I'm slowly trying to change to black tack for Axel. There's a dressage bridle on sale at Dover that I think I'll buy as well as a black dressage girth. I'll just be down to needing black stirrup leathers. I've also got to switch to a white dressage blanket, that fuzzy one does not go with the dressage saddle, it makes the saddle look like it's up over Axel's neck.

No comments: