Wednesday, April 09, 2008

As usual I'm behind in posts

Last Saturday I ran out and met Tricia at the CSDEA tack sale to see what kind of good deals we could come up with. I actually didn't do too bad. Traded places with Tricia who found all the deals last year. I ended up with some new bell boots, a Cavallo memory foam pad, a Ultra Soft Gel pad, and a white dressage pad all for $40. Still haven't found a good deal on a saddle cover that will fit my dressage saddle so I might be destined to just buy a new one, they aren't actually that expensive.

After hitting the tack sale we went out to Tricia's in-law's farm to ride Oly and Cinder. Cinder is getting much better at letting people put his bridle over his ears. I guess Tricia's niece has been working with him a lot on that and it's showing. We took a trip down the dirt road across the highway. Met up with some dogs that thought we were scary monsters and had full mohawks to go along with their barking. Both horses were just fine with the situation. Oly had some issues throughout the ride, wanting to ride in the ditch and not the road. Makes me feel better that it's just not my horses that have "issues."

After riding there we went over to the ranch to ride my horses for a while. I rode Cody and Tricia jumped on Axel bareback for a trip down the road. Cody was pretty good most of the ride but he gets so worked up on the way back he just won't pay attention. We are having some serious issues turning left lately. Even just weaving to the left he gets really angry. The closer he gets back to the barn the better he is of course. At least this ride Tricia didn't have to dismount to hold Cody while cars went by. He and I are going to be doing a lot of work soon.

So last night Steph and Tricia and I meet out at the barn. Steph is still recovering from her pulmonary embolus so she opted to ride Axel. She's on blood thinners and can't fall down. Axel, while kind of goofy, is a stable bombproof horse so he's the best bet for not falling. Though sometimes I wonder why he doesn't fall down himself. I groomed him, and then fetched Cody and Kiko from the sea of mud and we worked on grooming them. Axel is almost done shedding but Cody still has a ways to go. He was a bit more calm in the barn with Kiko there but someone, I think Papillon, was outside calling up a storm. We still really have to work on standing still with Cody. He'll halt when asked and back and all that but he won't halt for more than a second before pacing. So it was an uneventful ride down the road. Tricia rode Kiko out for the first time in a long time and she was actually sane. Cody was a little more feisty on the way back to the barn. I didn't want to fight too much so we didn't attempt a left turn away from the barn, but I did try and work on serpentines which he still won't do to the left. He thinks I'm trying to steer him away from the barn. The closer we get to the barn the better he bends. So next time we ride I'm going to work him really hard near the barn, take a few steps away from the barn and rest and get off. And we'll keep doing that until he realizes the barn means work. Or until he gets over his need to keep track of his herd at all times. Of course it didn't help that Kiko was in season and he kept trying to get her attention. Boys!

If you missed the CSDEA tack sale or the big Farmington 4H tack sale this year, make sure you check out the We Can Ride Tack Sale this coming weekend. We have all sorts of tack at great prices since we don't do consignment. I, unfortunately, won't be there to help out as I have my NARHA Instructor Certification this weekend.

No comments: