Monday, April 21, 2008

Saturday at the barn

After a meeting at WCR on Saturday I made it out to the barn to see how Axel was doing. He was down to 1g of bute per day and Sunday would be his last day of antibiotics. He was walking on this foot, still the tiniest bit tender, but nearly sound for the most part. He didn't run away from me in the pasture so I guess he's done being mad that we locked him up when he was recovering. As usual he's got scratches and scrapes all over him, what that horse does when no one is around, I will never know. There's no sign of any new scabs or anything on his feet from the mud fever. Now that the mud is starting to dry up he'll hopefully make a full recovery with no relapses. I'm still waiting on the bill from the vet for all the x-rays (yikes).

I did do a bit of work with Cody. After a quick grooming I took him out to the side pasture to do some ground work. We're still not quite sure how to move away from the person lunging when he starts to cut in. But we'll keep working on that. Until we get that part I don't think we can do lateral movements. I took him to the opposite side of the trees so he couldn't see his friends and did some work there. He wasn't 100% on that side but was doing fair. He had no interest in the pedestal. So I guess he's not much of a trick horse. Though I didn't push him, I just wanted to see if he would be interested in it at all. Finally we went to the round pen where I knew he'd be more relaxed with his herd nearby. Did some basic lunging and direction changes. Worked on moving the forehand and the hindquarters. Then we tried some liberty work. He actually did really great that the liberty work. Slightly distracted at times but still changed directions on command, even into the circle as he was taught. All that of course happened after I shot this little video. It's hard to shoot a video of lunging without getting dizzy and falling over.


No comments: