Monday, April 06, 2009

Mud and Hair

too busy at the barn to rideMud and hair is the theme this time of year. I was going to experiment with some video taping tonight but part of the deal with boarding is that there are other boarders around. Apparently a couple of the girls have a little lesson on Mondays so the arena was full up. Rumor has it that two of the boarders are leaving at the end of this month so it should quiet down a bit. I scrapped the video taping for fear of looking like a dork and opted for some outdoor grooming. With all the mud and hair flying all over outside was the best option. The wind blew everything away and I didn't have to sweep the barn aisle. I groomed for over an hour and neither horse looks it in the least bit. Axel's mud fever doesn't seem to be showing it's face yet this year. He had a scrape on his one foot so I cleaned him up and sprayed it and some other rough spots with Betadine. Cody is shedding in full force and I could have used the shedding blade on him for days. Even with Danny in the furthers end of the pasture, I can take Cody away and Axel doesn't freak out like he does when both Danny and Cody are gone. It's kind of interesting. Next time Danny is gone I'll do some work with the herd bound-ness.

Apparently on Tuesday when it was snowing and raining and generally crappy out they brought all the horses into stalls. Including Cody and Axel. Sounds like my guys and Danny were in the small barn together. I guess they handled it fine. I suppose they were happy to be out of the mud and they probably had some nice hay to munch on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I clipped my horse this year, but I remember last year's mud and hair. It is annoying that no matter how much you brush them, they seem to be perpetually dirty, isn't it? And all of that hair! No fun to get that in your mouth and down your shirt.