Saturday, June 05, 2010

Rainy Saturday

I tried to wait out the rain but it wasn't letting up or clearing off so I went out to the barn anyway. It's pretty quiet out there on a weekend when it's raining so it's kind of nice.

Head in the grass

Axel was pretty sore and puffy still on that knee. I scraped off as much rain as I could and groomed him up a bit. It seems like his knee has better ROM but is more sore lately. I put more DMSO on it and gave him some MSM. I put him in the arena and he took off running and flinging his head. Then he'd gimp around smelling everything he could get his nose on. I decided since I'll be able to get out there several days in a row this week to try and bute him. Not sure how much actually got in his mouth, I mixed it with water and put it in a syringe. I wore quite a bit of it on my arm. I think I better get something a little thicker than water next time. My plan (ever evolving) is to get a new supplement to try for a few months, I found one that has a decent amount of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and Collagen in it and is pellets and less than a dollar a day. Plus when I get the money together I'll get his next round of Adequan and some Surpass (gotta find someone going to Canada to get me some of the OTC human version sometime). I put together some prototype wraps for Axel's back legs so I fitted those so I can try and put something together. Eventually he might feel well enough to ride, right?

Cody before getting nervous

I grabbed Cody out of the rain and started grooming him when B came in with Diva. I was debating on if I was going to ride or not but wanted Cody to dry off more before putting the tacky too pad on him when he started to shake. He was yawning quite a bit and then stretching out both front legs almost like he was going to lay down in the cross ties and then he started shaking. He was still wet so we thought maybe he was cold so I put his blanket on. He was still shaking so I walked him into the arena in case it was actually nerves. He trotted around a bit and then started frantically looking for a place to roll. I still don't know if it was nerves or cold. Would he lay down and roll twice if he was freaked out? Or was he just looking for the quickest way to get warm? Very weird, but after that he was just fine. I lunged him a bit before turning him back out. I probably could have ridden but I was kind of caught off guard at that point. B was getting Diva ready for the show so I just hung out and chatted.

The sun actually came out by the time we were done so I took some photos of the clydesdales and then of Cody who so kindly posed for a nice conformation shot and then hung out by some daisies for me. Tomorrow I'm going to tag along to the horse show and take some photos and play groom for B and Diva. I'm hoping it doesn't rain though, ick.

No comments: