Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bath Day

The boys on Friday hiding from flies

Friday I was going camping all weekend so I just ran out to check on the boys and make sure everyone was still in one piece. Axel's wound looked like it was either scabbed over or covered in mud, or both. I did get quite the welcome, both horses were standing head first in the lean-to and when they heard me open the gate they both whipped around and started knickering. Too bd I didn't have any good snacks for them.

Axel

Camping ended early on Sunday so I was able to make it out to the barn on a hot sunny day. Axel was a little gimpy so I decided not to ride him afterall and opted for baths instead. With soap! I was scolded afterward for not using the warm water but it was so hot out I thought maybe the cold water would feel okay. Axel didn't seem to mind as he stood pretty decently for the scrubbing.

Cody

Cody, on the otherhand, was not too happy about the situation. He paid me back by rolling right away so you couldn't even tell he had a bath. I tried out the Underwood Horse Medicine on Axel's wound and one of his feet with mud fever, we'll see how that works on it. Cody's back legs were so dirty down to the skin I wasn't even able to get them all the way clean. I don't think he has mud fever, I'm pretty sure it's just dirt. I should have grabbed a scrub brush or something and worked on it but he was pretty unhappy about the bath so I just went as fast as possible. If I hadn't had given them the baths I don't think I would have noticed that they both have bot eggs on their legs. So now I have to find my bot knife and remember to bring that out and try and get them cleaned up. Sheesh horses.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone once told me that horses don't care if they are clean or not, bathing horses are for us people. Considering the work (and reward of rolling) that it takes, I decided they are right. Anyway, my ponies seem to come out clean the next day by themselves. Teflon ponies maybe?

Elise said...

Oh yeah I know they would rather I didn't but I have not bathed them in the 5 years that I have owned them with soap so I figured they might need a bit of a scrub down. Cody has some dirt so deep even my bath didn't get it out. At least a bath gives them something to do - add more dirt after.