Wednesday, August 04, 2010

A Little Better Visit

Axel's got some mud fever again.

Of course the day I'm able to get out to the barn it's a billion degrees out. I waited until as late as possible to go in hopes that it would cool down a bit. So around 7:30pm I finally went out to see the boys. Cody, once again, was missing his fly mask. Axel came barreling up to the gate, it was nice to see he was feeling pretty good again. I grabbed him and brought him into the barn so I could get him cleaned up. He ate his new supplement without fuss as well as his MSM.

That back right leg was still swollen and I noticed there was quite a bit of mud fever under the dried mud. I should have cleaned him a lot more than I did but I got off as much of the mud I could with a brush and scrubbed some chlorhexidine on both back feet. I'm hoping the swelling is just from the scratches and nothing else. He was actually walking pretty well on the front for once so I didn't give him any bute. Once again I'm just about out of fly spray, I should have gotten the big jug but it's just so much money at once. I tried to clean up some of the rough edges on his hooves before turning him back out. Cody already had his supper at this point and Axel went running off to catch up on the hay pile. It might be a feeble attempt but I put both their fly masks back on. Cody's gotten a little sun burnt the past couple weeks so I want to keep his nose covered as much as possible.

I don't think I'm going to get a chance to get back out to the barn this week, but I'd like to get Axel's feet cleaned up better and maybe shaved as well. Perhaps if our plans fall through tonight I can make it out. If the mud would dry up that would be helpful.

No comments: