Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Riding between the fields

A little trail ride

Since Jeff is out of town for the week I naturally use every free day I have to go out to the barn and hang with the ponies. I went out to the pasture to grab someone and Axel comes booking it over to me, completely and utterly sound. So I groomed him and tacked him up and set out on the road. And I kicked and kicked and kicked. And he stood there and stared and didn't move. We made it halfway down the block before I finally gave up and turned around. He did manage to walk most the way back without stopping until we got into the driveway. If you'll recall when I first got Axel this is how life was, thus his nick name "thigh master." After riding him I wouldn't be able to walk for days he required so much leg to keep moving. I guess he's back to his old self after not having to work for nearly a year.

Another boarder showed up right as I was heading out so when I got back I got Cody tacked up and we set out on the road for a little ride. With inspiration from the other horse Cody actually made it down the road almost faster than a snail. We decided to turn into the ditch between the corn fields and check that out. Both horses must have gotten a little wind up their butts because what was a calm slow ride turned into a much more hyper walk/trot complete with a few spooks and the other horse doing a might fine PRE horse impression. They finally calmed down by the time we got to the other side of the field. We happened across a guy in a truck scoping out a place to bow hunt, I guess we'll be wearing orange from now on. We had one more spook on the far side of the field when a bird flew out. I admit, it scared me too so I can't really blame Cody. We were going along at a nice decent walk on the way back down the road when something snapped in Cody's head and he took off for no reason that I could find. I got him reined in and made him turn around once and we did some serpentines to get his mind off of whatever made him run in the first place. A tractor came up behind us so I pulled him down into the ditch and he decided to pull his litttle running backward into traffic move. I have no idea what his deal was, we were calm, heading home, going in the direction he prefers so there was no reason to start having a meltdown. When we got to the driveway I turned him around and got several "okay" steps backwards before dismounting and calling it a night.

I padded out the turnips I picked from the farm but most the horses had no clue what to do with them. Cody and Axel had a few bites but I think they were hard to chew or something. I dumped the rest in the pasture, maybe they'll get around to figuring them out. If the other border is around tonight and Axel is still feeling sound I might see if she wants to go for a quick ride down the road. Perhaps another horse will be a bit more inspiration for him. I think he should be able to manage a slow flat mile and if not it's not too far for me to dismount and walk.

No comments: