Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Any Day Now

SNC00846

Any day now it's going to be Spring. I was lazy last week but I finally made it out to the barn yesterday. My car said it was only 35F but I swear it felt warmer than that. The shedding is still happening and now the boys are finding places other than snow to lay in so grooming is taking longer than normal. Axel volunteered to go fist and came up to the gate when I arrived. I groomed him in the cross-ties and then put him in the arena to roll off the rest of the hair I couldn't get off. He made it evident that it felt pretty good to roll - grunts and everything.

SNC00845

I put Cody in the arena first since he had found something pretty dirty to lay in. He trotted around looking for a good spot and rolled before coming back up to me. Which he followed up with turning and running away for another quick run around the arena. He was fairly calm in the cross-ties but I think he wished I would have finished quicker. I took him down the driveway for a quick walk to see where his head was at. He hasn't been ridden since his last trip down the driveway when the car passed and made him upset. Of course another truck passed at lightning speed and I was once again flying a kite. We worked just in front of the property walking back and forth and doing circles trying to get a nice calm walk and maybe some licking and chewing. When he finally gave in just a tiny bit I called it quits and we went back to the barn. I made him back up for quite a few steps before he was allowed to go back to the pasture. I didn't feel like lunging so I just wanted him to do "something" near the barn before he got his reward.

Gonna have to bring out the clippers and clean Cody up a bit next time I'm out. He's resembling a billy goat and it can't hurt to clean up his feathers either. Sometime in May we might have the Chiropractor out so I'm hoping that helps with his attitude again.

No comments: