Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Welcome to the rodeo

On Horseback
So yeah, that was not the ride I had hoped for. Apparently this was Cody's "hey you, something hurts." I was trying to think if he's ever acted like that before but I don't think he's ever been sore like this. He's been super lame but then it's obvious so I just don't ride. So I *assume* this is just foot sore still and J said Dolly was super sore too that's why she had shoes put on. And apparently the farrier said that's not the first horse he's had to shoe this summer than he normally doesn't so I think we might be looking at shoes for the rest of the season (which is probably only 1 maybe 2 trims worth). He was his usual ouchy self on the gravel but he walked fine in the arena and I free lunged him for a couple minutes before getting on. He was the tiniest bit "off" like he has been, that sort of are you sore or are you lazy type of deal. Nothing out of the ordinary. When I got on he actually walked out pretty nicely and then I asked for a trot ... And I got the rodeo canter/buck/freakout. I have to say, he's never done that before. Even when he gets a little wound up in the arena it's still pretty controlled. This was mad angry get off my back Cody. So I finally got him back to a walk (and stayed on, yay). And I thought ok well maybe he just broke in to the canter and I accidentally jabbed him with the spur. So I asked for a trot again, this time holding the reins a little shorter just in case. And away we went into our rodeo show. That time I know I accidentally got him with the spurs after he started to freak out so when he came back to earth I got off and took the spurs off and lunged him with the lunge line for a while. Trot was just ok, he was kind of annoyed about it but didn't freak out. I asked for a canter on the lunge and then he freaked out. So I don't think it was my spurs that started this. I think he was just sore and didn't want to do it. So we trotted for a while on the lunge in both directions and I got back on sans spurs. This time I just walked and he was fine. I didn't want to push my luck so I left it at that and got off.

No comments: