Tuesday, April 16, 2013

There's Still Mud and Snow

This is probably the most annoying spring ever.  Last year we had our vet appointments done and were riding down the road already.  This year we are still under snow with the forecast calling for more.  On top of that, or under it, the frost went out so it's also muddy.  So so muddy.

I ran out to see if I could scrape some mud off of Axel's legs and see what was going on under there.  I got a little mud off by scrubbing with snow but I couldn't get it all.  I'm pretty sure there's some scabs under there.  I've just been spraying the CHG on top of the mud, hoping it'll at least help a little.

I chased him around in the arena with the whip and once again, darn horse is nearly sound.  Walk, trot, canter, seriously.  If he keeps this up we're going to do some ground work and get the last two years of retirement out of his system and maybe, just maybe, go for a ride or two.  I don't think some light riding is going to matter much in the grand scheme of arthritis.  I just want him feeling good enough that if he feels too good I'm comfortable kicking his butt.

I also ended up meeting one of the new boarders that works nights, so I might have a lunch time riding partner again.

No comments: