Saturday, June 10, 2006

Another guest rider

I should start writing down everyone that comes out and rides with me, or have them sign a poster or something. I swear every time I go to the barn I've got someone different with me. But I don't much care for riding alone so I gotta get whoever can go at the time. Ana came out and rode with me today. She audited one my riding lessons at Centerline and then took a few there herself before switching to a barn elsewhere. So she brought out her fancy pants saddle and rode Axel while I rode Cody. And it never fails, when I have someone new out to ride, Kiko is in season and Cody is madly in love and doesn't want to leave. It wasn't completely horrible this time. We still had a few of our usual arguments over who got to be boss, he always lets me win but not until I put up a good fight. I'd like to think he's getting a bit better but the progress is so slow it's hard to tell.

When we got to the clearing on top of the back hill we had a really nice canter that ended with a really nice downward transition to the trot. Best one I've had on Cody so far. Axel, of course, lumbered along in his painfully heavy canter. We wandered through the woods and down the big hill on the far side. Axel put his rider to the test and wandered through the sumac on the way down the hill instead of staying on the mowed path. He seems to behave really well for me and Tricia and a few others but certain people he acts like he has no clue. The only thing I can figure is that he's testing people to see what he can get away with.

So overall the ride went well. I've gotta get a flat blanket for under my english saddle. My fuzzy saddle pad isn't doing the trick, it just keeps sliding back especially with all the hill work.

No comments: