Sunday, September 24, 2006

Nice autumn day

Was planning to go for a ride with Tricia today but never ended up getting a hold of her. While I waited I tried to take some more photos of Beau in hopes of getting a good one to print. I still don't think I ended up with much but I'll print a few out and see what they look like. It was gorgeous out so I spent a long time trying to get Axel up to the paddock. He's been less than willing lately. We made it up and I groomed him and tacked him up. When I had first drove up, the horse and donkey that live on the corner were up near the fence. The donkey was sleeping (I hoped) on his back with his front legs curled up in the air. I thought Axel and I wouldn't ride down the road and make sure the donkey was actually sleeping.

Unfortunately Axel's mind was not in the task. He'd walk 3 steps and then stop. Then it'd take 2 minutes to get him moving again. I did use the time to work on his flexion and bent him right and left until he worked up some momentum and decided to walk on again. I'm not sure how long it took us to go 2 blocks but it seemed like forever. We never did make it down to see the donkey but when I drove home he wasn't still laying there so I guess he was just a heavy sleeper. Naturally the walk back to the barn was a lot more lively, but still it was a walk. I think Axel might still be sore like he was on Tuesday. After the ride I stretched his sore leg a bit, hopefully he'll be in better shape on Tuesday.

No comments: