Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dressage Lesson #28

If you take a few weeks off because of weather or illness or whatever the reason, don't expect to have your trainer go easy on you. After trying to ride the other weekend and Axel being wound up, I was a little worried about my lesson last night. Luckily, Axel was over his spring fever, or the fever took a break. Tricia said "no" to the saddle and tossed me up on Axel bareback. The snow was deep and crunchy in the round pen so he had to actually pick up his feet. This is good for the horse, and good for my seat so I can learn to sit a bumpier trot. Axel's normal trot is pretty smooth, he doesn't pick up his feet much, which in turn means he trips a lot. He's been doing a lot better this past fall, but I think we tired him out last night.

We worked on some sitting trot just around the circle and then tried to work on some turning. We started out trying to make a "Z" pattern but the turns were too sharp so we changed it to a triangle. Axel and I don't do patterns all that well. Our triangle probably looked more like an ameoba. We finished up by working on some posting trot. Yes, posting trot without a saddle. I will be feeling that for a few weeks.

Despite the pain, it was an okay lesson. It was light out! Yipee, I love riding when I can see where I'm going! And with Daylight Saving happening early, it'll be really light out for my lessons soon.

No comments: