Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Spring Fever

It was 30F+ out on Monday and I had the day off because of President's day. So it was out to the barn. Tricia couldn't make it to ride so I was just going to head down the road with Axel for a bit. Axel had other plans. He jumped, bucked, snorted, farted, and was generally ornery. I couldn't find any physical pain so I'm guessing it was just spring fever. In any case it cut our ride quite short. I made it down to the nursery mail box before going a few more strides, stopping for a few seconds while he was calm, and then turning back. Even on the way back he was still acting up so after I was able to get him to stand almost calmly, I got off. The road was still a bit slippery and I didn't want him falling with me on top. So I walked back and he did his best impression of an Arabian horse and bounced the whole way back. He was very light on his feet for a big guy. We got into the yard and he really wanted to trot so I ran along side and he trotted in the deep snow, and then started bucking and snorting again. Atleast we ruled out physical pain from having a rider on his back! I made him stand in the barn tied while he "thought about what he did." When he calmed down and i had the tack put away I turned him out into the paddock.

None of the horses had been in the side pasture since summer and the snow was untouched, so I opened the gate and prepared my camera for some general craziness. Unfortunately I had my old camera so I wasn't able to catch all the action as well as I could have. But I got a few decent action photos. Of course I didn't remember I had a movie option until everyone had stopped running around. I did get this video of Cody and Kalani playing a little bit.

No comments: