Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Great Escape

1. We switched our riding day to Tuesday this week since Steph was going to be out of town.
2. Tricia wasn't going to come but later decided it was too nice out to pass up and planned to come over with Oly in the trailer.
3. I turned down a meeting with some IT people at the WCR office.

Because of these three things we were able to rescue 5 very naughty horses.

I show up at the barn and Tricia comes along right behind me with Oly in the trailer. There's no horses in the front pasture so I head to the back hill to call for them. I can't whistle loud enough so I just yell "horses!" that usually gets them to at least look my way. I see Beau peek out from behind some trees and start heading up my way. I let him into the barn and figure everyone else won't be too far behind. No luck.

We decide that Tricia is going to ride Oly and I will drive Axel down the road to the bean field. I'll work Cody in the round pen when we return. I grab a halter and head down the hill to find the horses, yelling most the way just in case they decide to help me out so I don't have to walk all the way down the hill. No horses. I check the bottom of the hill where they spend most of their time grazing. No horses. Okay, maybe they went up the other way when I was coming down the hill. I call Tricia's cell to see if she's seen the herd but she doesn't have her phone on her. So I walk down near the creek to the bridge. There's no grazing over there but sometimes they hang out in the sand. No horses.

What I do find is a broken gate. The gate to the bridge is snapped. The bridge leads to the trails on the back hill and beyond the trails are fields and farms and roads. There is some really good grass at the top of the hill so my thought is that once they got to that point they probably stopped to graze. I couldn't get a hold of Tricia on her cell so I run up the hill nearly causing me a heart attack in the process (apparently I need to do a bit more aerobic work). She has Oly tacked up and ready to go. I tell her the news as Steph drove up. We gathered some lead ropes and halters and sent Tricia and Oly ahead of us thinking Oly would call and the horses would come looking. I guess Oly knew better because he didn't call.

When we got to the top of the hill Tricia set out across the first field to the farm house to ask if they had seen any horses. Steph and I walked down the trail in the woods to see if they were out there at all. Tricia called my cell and told me that the people at the farm house knew where the horses were so we were going to meet her back at Tom's and drive over and get them.

As the crow flies, they ended up a mile away. We had to drive 4 miles to get there though. They had ended up on the other end of one of the fields and someone spotted them and rounded them up. A guy with a bunch of horses at a farm up the road was going to try and trailer them back to us but they couldn't get Kiko in the trailer (apparently they got everyone else in the trailer though). So instead of fighting her they just put them all in a pen until we got to them.

We made two trips with Tricia's trailer to pick them all up. Kalani, Cody, and Kiko in the first trip. Both Kalani and Cody loaded really well. Kiko was a bit more of a fight but she got in. Then Axel and Corey on the last trip and they both load just fine. So we didn't get to work the horses we had planned but everyone got a few trailer loading lessons anyway. We saw some trailers at this farm, and they were big slant load goose neck trailers. My question is how in the world did they get Axel out if they had him loaded. He doesn't back out of a trailer well. I want to know their secret! Tom ended up taking us out for dinner after that in thanks for running around to find everyone.

Whew, quite the night.

1 comment:

Katie said...

wow sounds like an exciting time! I hate it when horses go missing!