Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunny Sunday

So I show up at the ranch this morning and Beau is in the barn which is not unusual. However, he's standing on the pallets on the wrong side of the fence. He must have been there for a while eating hay. When I came he was more than happy to move to the other side of the fence when I opened it for him. Actually he was ready to go outside, grab a drink of water, and head down to the pasture where the rest of the horses where.

I grabbed Cody's rope halter and went down to fetch him out of the pasture. He wasn't terribly thrilled to come up to the barn with me so we did a couple circles until he was ready to follow me up. When we got to the top of the hill he called back to the herd, luckily everyone was far too busy grazing to respond so we were able to work alone. Cody really picked up on the circling and the direction changes from Wednesday. He was pretty worked up and would only canter at first and then finally trot but walk was not in our vocabulary today. Despite his "frenzy" he kept an ear on me most of the time. We practiced standing outside of my "personal space" but he's still having issues with creeping forward. Particularly, he's creeping towards the herd. I worked on scratching his face a lot and when he'd creep forward he'd have to move out again on the circle. He got pretty sweaty again but it was 63F out so it stands to reason. Luckily it was early enough that I could just turn him out when I was done and not worry about him getting chilled.

When I figured we had enough circling I decided I wasn't going to just let him run down to the herd. I was going to walk him down to the herd and let him go as a reward. We had to do a few more circles on the way down the hill because he wasn't totally paying attention. When we got close to the herd I asked for a few more circles before taking his halter off. And surprise surprise, he just stands there looking at me. I walk towards the herd, he follows. I walk up to Kiko, he follows. I walk past Kiko, he follows. Finally when I put the halter on Axel he figures it out and stops following me around. Goofy horse.

After chasing Axel around the paddock a few times, I put the surcingle on him and ground drove him around the pasture for a while. We did some basic big circles, some sort of lopsided figure eights, and then to avoid boredom we wove (weaved?) the trees. Then we did get some long lining for a few circles. We just stuck to the walk, I was without a carriage whip so getting a trot would have been a lot of work.

The farrier is due out this coming Thursday. And the chiropractor is supposed to call back on Monday to schedule an appointment for Cody and Axel. I think I'm going to keep doing the ground work with both horses until after their chiropractor visit. Cody needs the ground work for respect so maybe one day we can get him in the trailer happily. Axel needs to work on using his hind end and needs to build up a little more top line as he's lost quite a bit of muscle lately. We've increased both of their grain and it looks like it might be working, hard to tell with the fuzzy winter coats.

No comments: