Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Back in the Saddle

So last night turned out to be just me and the boys. Tricia decided to stay home as it was pretty gloomy all day and Steph got a call back to work as she was pulling into the driveway. I started out grooming Axel. Patti and Scott put up trailer ties on all the posts outside, it sure makes grooming and feeding a million times easier. Axel is getting very shiny these days. Not sure if that's normal or if it's his supplements kicking in. But his tail was awesome, soft and easy to brush. The ends of his tail are about as red as Cody's but the top of his tail is jet black. In the right light I think he's getting his dapples again already. The black flies seem to have subsided at least for now (it was only 60F out) and I haven't found any ticks yet. Patti had sent me some photos of Axel's feet thinking they were getting worse as far as the mud fever was concerned. But turns out they were actually getting better. Last week they were really scabby. This week most of the scabs were gone. His legs are just always that lumpy. I picked the rest of the scabs I could and sprayed him with Betadine and sent him on his way.

I then groomed Cody who is also a very shiny horse this spring. He's not quite as appreciative of the attention and doesn't like to be tied away from his buddies for too long. I ended up talking with Patti for quite a while so it was a good lesson for Cody. After she left and Cody was groomed I went to get my ropes to make a bitting rig and some long lines. I think my bitting rig is a bit long and my long lines are a bit short (go figure). Cody had to stand tied through that and watch me cut and tie the ropes. I grabbed his snaffle bridle and the training surcingle and whip and brought it out to get Cody ready. He was not a fan of the whip and just about ripped the eye hook out of the post trying to get away from it. Yeesh, mistake number 1 I guess. When he calmed down I hooked him up to ground drive. He didn't exactly understand that whole deal. Which stands to reason as he hates direct reining. We made a few turns and I called it quits on that idea and went to the round pen with a real lunge line. I had been just lunging on a 6 foot lead but decided we needed to work on a longer line. A couple of issues we have lunging are 1. walking 2. staying out on the far side of the circle 3. cantering. The whip helped with 2. and 3. The walking we're still not great at. The downward transition from canter to trot was good, and trot to stop. But the trot to walk just isn't happening. He's still always too worked up about leaving the herd. I made a feeble attempt at some lateral work with the whip but my heart wasn't into it so I stopped. The mosquitoes were getting awful so after some fly spray we were done for the night.

I hadn't planned on riding, I had thought about it and decided against it, and then I changed my mind. I hadn't changed into my breeches and I was too lazy to get my helmet out of the car so I just grabbed a helmet from the tack room and a bridle. Way too lazy for a saddle so I took Axel into the round pen. He's sound now (as sound as he gets) and has been off of work for 7 weeks. Tricia's mom is going to ride one of these days so I thought I better get on and see what his attitude was like. He was a bit swishy (which could have just been the bugs) but otherwise he was really well behaved. Surprise surprise he even stood when I had to climb up the fence to get on. He moved out at the walk for once. We just did a few circles and a few direction changes on a loose rein and he was really good about seat aids. So there we have it. Probably a few more rides at the walk before we trot. And a few times at the trot before we head on the big hills. But Axel might be back in business. I still plan to ride Cody a bit more this summer though, he needs the practice more. And if we go out on the trails Cody might be my man as well. Depends on how this trailer loading goes. I have also finally ordered Cody's hoof boots. They should be here today and I can't wait to try them out. I think Cody might feel differently but it'll be nice to be able to walk on gravel without tripping.

No comments: