Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Movie Stars

I got Jeff to come out with the video camera to take some video of various things. First thing he taped was Cody experiencing his new hoof boots for the first time. Application of murphy's law #1: Cody pretty much walked normally with the boots on. He did step a bit higher than normal, with the back feet, the ones *not* in the boots. Of course the horses get trimmed today so I hope the boots aren't too big now that he's got them dirty. I measured after a trim so I should have the right size. Maybe we'll take a ride down the road next time and see how it goes.



Then Steph got on Kiko to do some riding for her sale video. She did pretty good. No funny business much to Jeff's dismay. She's not quite up on the cantering thing but she did pick up both correct leads so we called it a success. Hopefully we can pull some of the more interesting things off that clip as Cody was standing in the pasture making horrible perverted noises every time Kiko would pass by (she's in season). And something bizarre happened where Poppy got scared or spooked, freaked out a bit, then laid down to roll.

Application of murphy's law #2: Kalani was not having the canter. Everyone's feet were so long and Kalani kept interfering. He did fine at the trot but when Steph would ask for the canter he'd do this cute little butt hop thing and then kick out at her outside leg. It was quite entertaining. We might be reshooting that one when she can get him to canter properly. Neither of them have been in work since last year so they need some fixer upper lessons.

Application of murphy's law #3: Axel decided he was lame again. I broke out the tall boots, white breeches, velvet helmet, and Axel had the white saddle pad, dressage bridle, and white polos. We looked good! He of course was back to his slow half asleep self. We walked around the pasture to warm up and it was apparent ole "thigh master" was back. Every step I had to use leg to keep him moving. What happend to the past two weeks where he was full of himself and trotting all over the place not wanting to walk. I fully expected to get some video of Axel trying to buck me off after the last two weeks. I asked for a trot and got a very lame gait. So we warmed up some more and tried again, still lame but not as bad. The only thing I can figure is that on the trail rides he had plenty of time to warm up before he started offering up the trot. I probably could have worked him out of the soreness but it was so hot I was already sweating and tired from just keeping him moving at the walk. We might have gotten 15 seconds of a nice sound trot on video so here's hoping.



So Jeff will probably have to come out and video tape again some time. I probably won't be sporting the white breeches but I could keep Axel in the white saddle pad and dressage bridle. Probably skip the polos though they make him look like he has a lot more action than he does. Hopefully I can get him to get me some of the video clips sooner than later and I will add them to this post.

No comments: