Monday, June 30, 2008

My kingdom for a seat saver!

A person should probably work up to a 4 hour trail ride in a hard western saddle. It's probably not the best idea to bite it off in one big chunk. But I never said that I usually do the smart thing. Rather than deal with Cody's trailer loading issues and Axel being possibly lame still, I just went up to Tricia's and we took Oly and the new horse out to Lake Rebecca park. The new horse is Tricia's niece's horse. His name is Rocky Top Scotch (or something like that) but they haven't come up with a barn name for him yet. We went through a plethora of ideas while we were riding though. Too bad I can't remember half of them.

On my way up to her farm I was getting a little concerned at the weather. It was raining in one part of Farmington, sunny in the next. When I got to Waconia it just started downpouring. By the time I got to Watertown there was no rain at all. I have learned my lesson being so far away from everything, that the weather could and probably is totally different on the other side of the cities. I was right about that. We made good time packing up the truck, loading the horses, and getting to the park. Then we had to clean the mud off of both horses. What is it with buckskin/palominos that make them roll in the mud more than any other horse?

The trail was pretty nice. No one else was there and most of it is closing starting the 7th of July for repairs. So we squeaked in right under the wire. It was a little buggy in some of the lower areas but only one really bad section of the 9 miles. The only bad part is there is only one picnic area along the way and no tie ups for the horses. The new horse is a little excited and liked to trot as much as possible. He was tough going down hills and he just kind of scrambled down them tripping and not paying attention. Other than that he seemed fine, nothing really bothered him at all. Even when Oly spooked at a few things he was calm about it. They did both spook at a tree when they turned to look at it a motorcycle zoomed by on the nearby road and they both jumped sideways, the new horse landing on Oly causing a bit of a chaotic mess. But they came out if it well and were just as calm afterwards. We kept our ride to a walk and a trot, not sure how the new guy's canter would have been. He's a smaller horse so it could very well be pretty choppy.

Near the end of the ride, about the time I thought I might die from hip and knee and rear end pain, Tricia and I switched horses so she could see how the new horse was. Now Oly has gotten himself a bad reputation. Something about trying to kill Tricia when she first got him. I had actually ridden him right after she bought him (pre homicide attempts) but hadn't been on him since. She's worked him through his issues and now he's a pretty solid calm trail horse. The difference in how he felt now from when I first rode him is pretty extreme. He still moves out but he's got a much calmer feel about him. We even had a trot near the end of our ride. It started raining about 10 minutes before the end so we trotted up pretty close to the end of the trail. Oly has a very nice trot, easy to post and not frantic. I'll have to ride him again sometime.

After regaining my ability to walk we loaded up the horses (the rain had stopped right as we got to the trailer) and stopped at the DQ on the way home. I'm a glutton for punishment so I decided as long as I was sort of in the neighborhood I would stop by Pinto Creek on my way home. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but I figured I'd think of someting. Patti was feeding when I arrived so I groomed both Cody and Axel while they ate. It had rained there so trying out the hoof boots on the road wasn't going to happen (wouldn't want to get them dirty already!). I finally decided on riding Cody in the side pasture to see how he was doing. Surprise surprise he did really really well. We still had our usually dance around the mounting block. But the ride was nice. He was interested in the other horses but was listening to me. We did some circles and some figure 8s. We even went around the tree and worked a tiny bit on the other side of the trees away from the herd. I worked on a loose rein with lots of leg and that seemed to go well for Cody. Not quite as precise as it probably should have been as far as getting our turns when they were asked but he never ran off out of a pattern. I only worked him for a few minutes, he was being so good I wanted to be sure to end on a good note and not push it. We rode to the opposite side of the trees and dismounted there (at a good solid halt). I then untacked at the mounting block to practice our halt there as well. And I led him out to where Kiko was standing and turned him out at that point. So overall it was a successful ride. And my dressage saddle is way more comfortable than that western I had been riding in.

No comments: