Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Another bareback ride

Steph and I met out at the barn and just did some bareback riding in the round pen and the pasture. Kalani has been kind of a crankypants lately so she wanted to feel him out and see what his deal was. I figured it was too cold to get on a saddle. So while she worked on Kalani in the round pen, Axel and I hung out in the pasture. Axel was not happy about Gunner who kept following us around. At one point Axel had his ears pinned back so far and was about to kick him. We didn't really work on much, Axel and I. I asked for some trotting and was met with some head tossing. I'm pretty sure his deal now is just a combination of sore leg from the ringbone, hard ground, and out of shape. But I think when I get my tax refund in the spring it'll be another round of chiropractor and dentist visits before we really get working on getting back into shape.

I have decided that when it's chilly bareback is the only way to go. Unfortunately when the snow comes riding bareback for me means lots of walking. Axel's trot gets pretty vertical when he has to pick up his feet for snow. I'll have to try riding Cody in the snow, he's usually really smooth, I wonder how his snow gait is! And of course now we're getting into the time when we can't work too hard or the horse will get sweaty and then I have to blanket them and hang out til they're dry. I should put a waterproof blanket on my Xmas list. That way I could throw the cooler on with the blanket over top and Patti can just take them off in the morning. Anyone have a suggestion for a good blanket to wear over top of a cooler?

(I apologize for the short post, I waited way too long to update and now I have four blog posts to make and can't remember back that far!)

No comments: