Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winter trail ride

Sunday I picked up Steph on the way to the barn. Laurie was coming out to ride Kalani to help her decide if she was going to buy him or not. We went out a little early and I thought we'd get some photos of the horses running around in the pasture but I guess the side pasture isn't as exciting yet. I opened the gate and they all just walked out and looked for grass. Not exactly the usual crazy running around excitement. I guess I have to wait until the dead of winter when they've been cooped up in the paddock for too long.

So when Laurie arrived we groomed and tacked up Kiko, Kalani, and Axel and went out on the trail.

We don't often use the trail in the winter due to the hills and thinking it'll be too slippery but it had only just snowed so it seemed like it would probably be okay. Kalani had some issues at first, once he figured Laurie out and stopped putting his tongue over the bit then he settled right into the ride. Axel was just okay. We kept it at a walk and everyone was happy. Axel brought up the rear as usual, Kalani gets annoyed when Axel is in front and he has to walk too slow. We took the last loop and Axel stopped to relieve himself leaving the other two horses to get further in front of us. That led Axel to trot to catch up. Unfortunately that meant trotting towards the big hill on the way home. I got him into a walk right before the hill but he was pretty wound up. Very occasionally he gets worked up about the group of horses leaving him and this was apparently one of those occasions.

He could see the horses, they were only 30 feet in front of us on the way down the hill. He proceeded to start trotting down the hill, not something I tend to enjoy doing so I tried to slow him down. That just lead to bucking. Bucking down the hill on the upside of the trail in the trees. So I close my eyes as to not loose one of them on a branch, and try my darnedest to get Axel to stop. I can't really use a pulley rein, his balance isn't so great and going down hill all I could see in my head was us tumbling head over heals. I couldn't push him through the bucking as I would normally do because we were headed down hill. So instead I yelled "here we come, I'm sorry, watch out!" Luckily we caught up to the other two quickly and stopped the shenanigans.

So overall it was quite the adventure and I'm pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my butt in the process. Laurie isn't sure about Kalani yet and she has another horse to look at that is a mare in foal and her husband wants a baby. So Kalani might still be in the market for a new home.

No comments: