Thursday, November 13, 2008

Time to find a new barn

Sooner than later my barn owner is going to be putting his place on the market which means I am going to be needing a new barn for my horses. In a perfect world I'd find a place in Farmington so I could ride more often. But I will probably have to expand my search area to include anything in the south metro area (Lakeville, Rosemount, Prior Lake, etc). There's a few places that are almost on my way home from work but so far they seem to be kind of spendy.

I've been trying to figure out what kind of barn I am interested in. Money is a big factor of course, having two horses limits my choices on what I can afford. It seems like several places have multi horse discounts so I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that. It would cool to board them somewhere that also gave riding lessons. I'd love an indoor arena so I can ride in the winter and actually see what I'm doing. And having some non arena riding adjacent is really nice. Since I've only ever boarded at a private residence I'm not sure if I'll like boarding at a busier facility. There's obviously things about a small barn that are annoying and I imagine there are just as many annoyances at a large barn. I also need to find a barn that has pasture board but also feeds grain. I want to keep Axel on his supplement and maybe start giving Cody the same supplement in the future.

I will definitely have to tour a bunch of barns before I decide. I made the mistake once when I first started riding and didn't look at the barn/lessons ahead of time and that was a disaster. Timing will be an interesting factor, I'm not sure when the current property will sell or when it does how long I'll have to move out. There's not really anything that would stop me from moving the horses out early if I find a nice place that's closer. But you know, change is hard.

So if anyone has any barn suggestions I am open to them!

No comments: