Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I am raising saddle broncs

Sorry another post without photos. It's really hard to take pictures this time of year when it's dark almost immediately. Also I'm spamming my own blog in my attempts to catch up on missed posts. Oh well.

Last night I met Steph at the barn as usual. Patti and Scott had just finished up feeding so when I went to get Axel he was more concerned with the hay feeders and did not want to be caught. Cody was standing still so unfortunately for him I brought him into the barn. I haven't ridden Cody in a while and Axel was kind of a jerk on Sunday so I thought maybe I was going to get off easy with Cody. Steph had given Kalani some bute at breakfast and was trying my AP saddle on him to see if that made any difference in his sudden girthiness. The trip down to the bridge was uneventful. Kalani does no better in an AP saddle when it comes to keeping the saddle on while mounting, he's just too darn round. Cody stood well and actually lead the ride down to the bridge. We made it up the hill and around the meadow and into the woods easily. Then it all went wrong. Kalani got a little fast going down the little dip in the woods, Cody spazzed, jumped straight in the air and bucked the whole way down and up the hill. Tiny little jackhammer speed bucks. He's never bucked for me before. Apparently I'm on a roll with horses and bucking these days. On the way back through that section I let Cody lead thinking at least he wouldn't have motivation to run to catch up. He walked down really well and then sped up and cantered up the hill followed by bucking around the next two turns. At least he didn't run me into a tree. When he gets going like that, he is not going to stop no matter what is on his face or in his mouth. So I don't think having the rope hack made him more misbehaved but we might still go back to a bit anyway. He pranced his way out of the woods back into the meadow. There, as usual, we did some circles and he was an angel again.

Not wanting to tempt fate and get a nice bronc ride down the big hill on the way home, we walked into the woods again (much to Cody's dismay). When he halted calmly I dismounted and led him the rest of the way home. As soon as I was leading and not riding he was calm and didn't care if Kalani got too far ahead of him. It was a good workout for me to walk up the last hill on the way home. And good practice for Cody to walk up that hill slowly. But I think we're going to be working on ground driving this winter so he can get used to not seeing me (ie on his back or behind him). I'm hoping that will transfer better to the saddle than plain ground work did.

No comments: