Monday, December 29, 2008

Nice Day and Nowhere to Ride

I finally get around to getting out to the barn after what seems like ages. It was super sunny, warm, and just a really nice day. Unfortunately everything was an ice skating rink. The road was icy, the yard to get to the road was icy, the pasture was icy, the side pasture was icy frozen snow as well as the round pen. Cody was walking very tender again but I'm pretty sure it's just the ice and not laminitis. He's always been very wobbly on the ice. Axel seemed to be walking fine but I guess he's been on bute again for the past few days. I foresee a lot of trips to the barn when I move them closer, when I have to do the bute myself.

Since I couldn't ride I just groomed. I tried to give some Christmas treats but all Cody and Axel wanted out of my mixture was the apples. They weren't fond of the peppermints, just spit them out. And the trail mix I added they just didn't eat at all. I did start ground driving Cody again. I've only tried once with him and didn't get very far. The plan is to start working on ground driving to build his confidence when he can't see me. He was a bit confused by what I was doing but seemed to get the hang of it after a while. I spent a lot of time a little off to his side instead of directly behind him. But since he was confused he needed me in that spot to push him forward. We'll work up to me being directly behind him. I'm not sure if I should work in verbal "gee" and "haw" type commands or just stick with the reins on that.

Axel just got a good grooming and some apples when he came inside. I thought maybe he'd have a nice roll in the dirt but he just wanted to explore and see if he could find more hay. Free choice hay is going to leave me with some fat fat horses I think. At least I will have a chance to ride more with an indoor arena. Though it's a shame to ride inside on such a nice day, I couldn't ride at all where they live now.

No comments: