Friday, May 22, 2009

Axel Found Go

Axel or a racehorse?I thought Axel kind of looked like a racehorse in this photo. He was all shiny and tall. He must have actually been channeling a bit of racehorse when I got on to ride he was moving out at the walk more than ever before. I decided to stick with the walk since he was so willing and I gave him a long rein. We didn't ride for long, just did some circles and a few sloppy serpentines. I always hope he remembers "hey when I actually step out a bit she gets off right away."

I was going to just hang out in the pasture for a while when I was done riding because no one was around to wonder what in the world I was doing. But they came home so I decided to ride Cody for a few minutes instead. He wasn't thrilled to be in the cross ties but we made do. I was more-so wasting time until Jeff got back to the cities and I had to go pick him up. Cody has been slower and slower these days so hopefully I can get the chiropractor out soon and fix him up a bit. I guess he and Axel traded their walks or something. Since he's been kind of skinny lately too we mostly just walked with a very small amount of trotting. I've added a second thing saddle blanket just to try and pad up his back a bit until he gains some weight back but I don't want to be slamming around on him in any case. He's definitely improved in the arena, he'll now willingly face away from the gate to be dismounted, I guess he figured out that was easier than fighting it. We haven't had too many issues with "inching" in the arena lately, but that'll be put to the test next time we go on a real trail ride or something. We still need work on backing up, maybe that'll go better after the chiro. He sure goes backward fast when he's pissed about being ridden away from the barn!

No comments: