Monday, May 18, 2009

Axel Has a Calling

Hopefully I can get some photos from tonight but for now all you get is text. My best friend from 6th-8th grade found me on Facebook last year and we always talked about getting together to catch up but today we finally did it. Liz's mom messaged me and said "hey can we come down and meet your horses and hang out?" So Liz, her mom, and Liz's 10 year old son all came down for some horse time. Liz's son is on the Autism spectrum so being a therapeutic riding instructor, horse time sounds good to me. We brought Axel into the crossties and everyone did some grooming which he stood for like a complete expert.

We saddled him up and brought him into the arena. I sent him around a few circles at the trot just to make sure the saddle was in the right place and that his head was in the right place. I led Liz's son around for a while and showed him how to steer and ask for a walk on and whoa. After a while he rode around without me leading. Axel just walked around, went where he was told, and didn't protest one bit. Liz's son got a little over zealous and asked Axel to trot which surprised him but it was only a few strides and everyone survived. He probably rode around for a good 45 minutes, at least it seemed that long just watching. Axel looked really good, he was carrying himself well, he was shiny, and he looked very nice.

Liz took a turn riding for a while and they wanted me to ride a bit and "go fast." Axel actually had a couple nice canters and one disunited canter. But no bucking so yay Axel. Liz's son wanted to get back on one more time and do some trotting so I led and we trotted a few times before we called it a night. Axel took a while but finally showed everyone how he can lay down and roll over. Liz's son decided he really likes the horses and was hugging all over Axel and the same on Cody when we turned Axel out. I knew Axel would be a good therapy horses or heck just a good kid's horse.

No comments: