Thursday, May 28, 2009

Working on the Road

I just went for a quick ride tonight with Cody. Picked up a few things at Fleet Farm on my way. One of which was a thin felt underpad. In the end I want to use it under Axel's yellow blanket but until Cody puts on a bit more weight I'm using it to double up on his pads. I groomed and tacked him up outside and we were off (slowly) down the road. I will be very interested to see if our trips away from the barn will speed up at all after he gets his back done by the chiropractor. Last time it made a world of difference. We only made it a little way down the road. Cody won't walk straight he weaves back and forth so he can try and keep an eye back on the barn/pasture. When I was finally able to get him to walk straight for more than a couple steps that's when we turned around for home. I wanted to make him "work" on the way home but the road is really busy so it's kind of difficult. We did do some circles, we turned around and walked away again, and we passed by the drive way. We also did some trotting in front of the barn and I was going to work on backing up since he did so good the day prior but it didn't really happen. I had bought a fly mask at Fleet Farm that was supposed to cover his nose and help it not get sunburnt but it wasn't even close to covering his nose. So I guess I have to order a Cashel fly mask.

No comments: