Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Clean Pony

didn't recognize my horse today. Usually his nose is so dirty.


I had to look twice at Cody when I pulled him out of the pasture. His face was so clean I almost thought it wasn't him. Then his tail was so soft I started to think someone gave him a bath for me. J said he was playing in the water, thus the clean nose, and it had rained, thus the soft tail. Well I still thing someone switched my horse for a look-alike. J was riding in the arena so Cody and I joined her for a while. One lap around and I knew I was in for a slow slow ride. So I got off and grabbed the dressage whip. I only had to brush Cody with it once and he picked up the pace. It still wasn't the speediest walk in the world but it was greatly improved. We chatted with J for a bit standing in the middle, both of our horses were very patient and happy to stand there doing nothing. When J left Cody decided he was ready to be fast again. He seems to be slowest when other horses are in the arena. I'm not sure what that is about, he's trying to keep an eye on them maybe.

So we trotted around and around and tried some cantering. He's much more inspired to canter when I have the whip. He wasn't terrible smooth getting into it but he did it. He had the wrong lead to the left every time I tried but we can keep working on that. We also worked on some backing up. I had planned on working on that with just the lead rope and halter but since J was riding I thought I better just put the bridle on. Surprisingly he did fairly well even with the bit. So we'll keep working on that as well. I grabbed the chin strap from his bridle which pretty much matches the saddle. Hopefully I can find a bridle sometime that matches that leather. Of course Cody will go better when his tack finally matches! That's how it works, don't you know?!

When I was done riding Cody I brought Axel in just to get groomed and fly sprayed. Of course when I'm done that's when everyone else shows up to ride. Heh go figure. I guess I need to start going to the barn later unless I want to ride alone.

No comments: