Saturday, July 04, 2009

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

got a ride in before heading up to DL for the weekend.


Cody and Axel have switched bodies, that's all I can figure. Cody has been greeting me in the pasture with a knicker lately. The good news is that I groomed and tacked him in the cross ties on Friday and there was no yawning. There was one other person riding so we rode around in the arena with them for a while. Cody was as lazy as Axel usually is. It was all I could do to get/keep him moving. Part of it was that he really just wanted to sit and watch the other horse. I didn't even attempted to get a canter since the trot was so much work. I'll have to see what he does next time he's alone in the arena.

Axel, on the other hand, was all business. He lunged pretty well, big big trot. Took a bit to get that one canter lead but he eventually got it. I'm pretty sure he knows when he gets it right so now we just have to keep working til he gets it right on the first stride. He had a nice big trot under saddle as well. I decided to work on some canter from walk transitions. While he didn't want to pick up the correct lead he definitely knew what I was asking. So that was a cool discovery. He's got a few things other than food on his mind I guess! We finished up with some under saddle work on the bridge which included backing off the bridge. First just his front feet on and off then all four. It took some time standing before he made the attempt with all four but he got it. We'll get this horse backing off the trailer yet!

No comments: