Monday, October 26, 2009

Another Ride in the Drainway

Our little ride on a nice day

When I got to the barn on Saturday B and Steele's Mom were already there thinking about going for a ride. I was going to grab Axel but he had decided he was lame again, I assume from the mud. So he tricked me into riding Cody instead. Cody had found the mud so it was a bit of work to get him cleaned up. B wasn't sure if her knee was up to a ride down the road so we all started in the arena. Cody was feeling his age again and needed some convincing to get moving. We attempted a canter while the others waiting in the middle, it went alright but was kind of strung out and unbalanced.

We decided to head out on the road for a quick ride so I went to put on Cody's boots. Cody decided to pee in the aisle while I was holding his front foot to put his boot on. So I had to scramble around to move things so the ever growing puddle didn't get everything wet while simultaneously putting shavings in the aisle to try and soak some of it up. Of course everyone was out side waiting for me. I finally got his boots on and he pooped in the aisle. At that point I just left it all to clean up when I got back.

Cody was a bit of a pill not wanting to leave the barn. So we drug along behind everyone slow as could be. We decided to see where the drainage area on the right side of the road would lead us to since we hadn't taken that route yet. The ground didn't seem too wet and both Diva and Steele had their shoes pulled so the grass was a good choice. So at least until they get the corn out and plow the fields those drainways are really nice to ride in. The corn blocks a bit of the wind and provides kind of a protective wall. The horses were a little flighty with the wind and noises but not too bad. Cody had apparently not heard my new phone's camera before so that startled him when I clicked a photo but since he's feeling lazy lately it was only two steps and he was back to slow-mo.

On the way back Cody stopped to pee (again!) and the other two ended up getting ahead around a corner. Cody couldn't see them at this point and went from parked out to running in a split second. Luckily he doesn't feel the need to get any closer than a couple horse lengths behind the other horses so as soon as he saw them he brought it down to a canter and then to a walk when he caught up. He actually didn't really speed up a whole lot on the way home like he usually does. He was a bit quicker to break into a trot if he thought that's what I wanted but we brought up the rear most of the way back.

No comments: