Thursday, April 15, 2010

2 More to Go

Visiting over the fence

Just two more shots for Axel left for this month and then we'll be going monthly or maybe every 3 months, we'll see. He's definitely not "miraculously healed" so far. From the sounds of it, this will just help him not get worse.

So apparently a few days of not grooming + rain = weird half shedding wet curly horse. So after a very long session of grooming and standing in the barn aisle with Logan we went into the arena for a little work. I forgot I was going to vet wrap a wet cloth on his legs to soften up the scabs, I'll do that the next time I have some time.

Overall he's still gimpy at the trot. And he's not really trying very hard. It'll be difficult to distinguish between lazy and hurting for a while I think. He's getting better at staying out on the circle when we lunge at the walk so that's a good side effect and we spent some time working on "walk up" so that he's not just lumbering along at a snail's pace. He is sound at the walk and not taking short steps which is an improvement over this winter. And I'm still not working him very long on the lunge, I was kind of hoping he'd show up sound one of these days but I think it'll be a slow process. I'm sort of paranoid to try the DMSO even though it seems to work for a lot of people's horses and Axel is pretty tolerant. I for sure can't use it on his ringbone since he's covered in scratches right now but perhaps I can try a bit on his sore knee and see if it does anything.

He really needs to start moving around, the small paddock isn't exactly helping matters but it's at least keeping the spring crazies to a minimum. After a few minutes of lunging walk and trot I scrubbed his back legs again and we took a walk down the road and grazed for a few minutes in the ditch. Axel's been a bit more swollen the past week so I'm not sure what that's about. I'll be happy when he's off the round bale. Then maybe we'll be able to tell the difference between fat and swollen.

No comments: