Sunday, April 18, 2010

Scabby Axel

Hard to tell from this angle but I swear he's thinner. And the swelling has gone down a lot.

The boys are back out in their pasture and Vinnie is out back with the geldings. I guess he's not terribly happy with the situation and would rather be up with my guys. But it seems like Cody is pretty happy with where he is. Jesse and Steele are in the paddock so even when I take Axel out he has other horses to visit with. He didn't call for Axel at all when I had him in the barn tonight.

He won't let me soak his foot so a wet cloth will have to do to soften up Axel's scabs from mud fever.

I ended up wrapping Axel's back leg with a wet cloth to try and soften up the scabs so I could pick them off. Axel won't stand with his foot in a bucket and the water is super cold so I guess I don't blame him. He was weirded out about the wet cloth but he stood patiently. I couldn't get all the scabs off yet but made some headway. Hopefully if I keep working at them this week I'll get him all cleaned up. I also bought a cordless clippers from one of the boarders so I'll probably clip up his feet again as best I can (it's hard to work around the scabs).

The good news is that his belly swelling was all but gone tonight. The 3 dimensional swelling he had is now flat, it's still a bit hard (pitting) but it's not raised. Soon he'll just be flabby and fat. The swelling in his sheath has gone down as well. So that's all an improvement over the last week. They've only been on pasture for a day or so, so I'm not sure I can chalk it up to lack of round bale but in any case it's good to see.

Oh and I forgot our little mishap. I was picking Axel's back right foot and he kept pulling it forward toward his belly. I don't usually let go unless there's a problem, he can learn to not yank his foot away. Well apparently there was a problem I was unaware of and pretty soon he had fallen on top of me and pinned me to the stall door. He scrambled a bit and got on all four feet again but I'm left with a bruise on my elbow and my shoulder. Guess I better start working out more if I'm going to be holding up a 1300lb animal.

No comments: