Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Is it Spring yet?

The boys are always waiting for dinner

I forwent a nap so I could visit the boys last night. Lots going on this week so it was my only chance to check on Axel and make sure he wasn't completely miserable from the mud fever. Much to my surprise he was doing pretty well. Still scabby of course but the scabs seem to be contained and of a smaller variety than last week. He's still sore and standing around with one foot in the air but at least it's maintaining for now. If we could just get a good week's worth of sun and warm to dry up their paddock it would really help. Not to mention if it gets warmer out I'm more inclined to hose him off and try and get some of the scabs removed. J said he had been sleeping all day, out there completely laid out on his side. She called to him a few times to make sure an ear would twitch. He's pretty round and laying down I imagine he looks a bit like a dead bloated horse. I'm surprised no one calls or stops by to tell her about the "dead horse" in the paddock! I cleaned off as much dirty and mud and hair as I could. Luckily the mud on his legs was dry so I brushed it off and tried to soak him in MTG again. I didn't feel like being hunched over with the hose and the MTG usually helps loosen things up anyways. Hopefully I can make it out this weekend and it'll be nicer out.

Cody was very sad that not only was Axel in the barn but both his neighbor horses were in the barn so he was ready to bust through the fence to find them when I brought Axel back out. He spent quite a bit of time in the cross ties calm but started to paw as I finished up grooming. For once he wasn't a ball of sweat. I left his legs alone as he had trampled through the wet mud before I haltered him. Since N hadn't been out to ride the past weekend I took him in the arena for a few minutes just to do some circles and get his brain working. He was calm and fairly willing to listen even though his neighbor was being lunged as well though he kept looking outside at some mysterious invisible thing. And of course he had to ruin a good evening by grabbing a whole bale of hay on his way by and spreading it all over the barn.

No comments: