Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Mud Fever in Full Swing

Sounds like Cody was feeling a little goofy on Saturday when N went out to ride. I'm hoping it's just a little Spring fever. Though we do have an appointment for the chiropractor in May, just too bad it's so far off. I guess they got as far as they usually get down the road and back, then a car passed by and he went a little bonkers so N dismounted. And as it has been lately, this occurred right in front of the driveway. Here's hoping a little nicer weather, more riding, and the chiropractor can get Cody back to earth.

My legs hurt, mom

Monday was our usual farrier visit and other than Axel being a bit of a pain in the rear everything went as usual. I brought Axel back in after everyone was done so I could attempt to remove some of his scabs. He's mostly okay with me fiddling around but tends to yank his feet up as high as he can. It's not too big a deal if I'm ready for it and don't get in the way but occasionally he loses his balance and I don't want to be pinned between him and the stall or the floor if he falls. I did manage to get off some pretty large scabs, they were pretty loose so it wasn't too hard to do between his little dance moves. I decided to go with the MTG this time so I did my best to get his legs good and soaked in that. I figure at the very least it might loosen up some more scabs. J offered to share some of his sulfur mix he makes for the clydesdale and hose down Axel's legs and what not for me. I still have my doubts that the sulfur mix or the MTG will actually kill anything but it's worth a try. Luckily the pasture is now roped off so they can't get to the low spots and the area they are confined to seems like it might dry out pretty quickly. Apparently when J was putting up the temporary fence he took a step and ended up over his muck boots in mud/water. The low spot of their pasture is basically like a bog. He thinks there's something up with the tiling that was done by the county a couple years ago. It'll be nice when it dries and they get some of the footing (read: manure) packed down a bit. Axel is pretty sore right now so I might see if I can find some tea tree spray, someone mentioned that it has a bit of a numbing affect and being able to spray it on from a distance is always a nice feature. After all of this including being a real bugger for the farrier, Axel was actually walking very soundly on our way back out to the pasture. I should have taken some time to work him a bit in the arena but with sore pasterns I don't really want to put boots on him yet. Maybe next time (famous last words).

No comments: