Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Cody Update

Just a little update to how Cody is doing with his bout of Laminitis.  He was on bute for a week and even though he liked to walk away from when I went to fetch him and he'd toss his head a bit he was a pretty good patient and took his bute well.  He was feeling pretty good with the combo of bute and foam insulation in his boots.  I left the boots on for a week after the bute was done just to make sure.  I never did get a god answer from the vet on how long to leave the boots.  But it snowed and I figured I better take the boots off so they didn't get stuffed with snow.  The heat was gone from his hooves and the stocking up in his right front was gone.  And he was throwing some pretty decent bucks in the arena, so I think he was feeling pretty good.

So he had been out in the paddock for more than a week when the farrier came up for a trim.  He checked out his heels and all that and did his best to bring them down a bit so his feet were covering the ground as best they could but he had very little toe growth so there wasn't any nipping, just filing.  We agreed shoes this time of year would be a pain in the butt as well as nailing shoes on a sore foot isn't exactly everyone's favorite job.

A week after the farrier appointment, or maybe a little longer I went back out and threw Cody and Axel in the arena to blow off some steam.  Cody was really walking poorly out of the paddock but it's icy and bumpy and frozen and that seems to be his MO in the winter like that.  Even Axel was tip toeing around.  But with a little "encouragement" in the arena they both tore around and Cody started to look like his old self.  still the tiniest bit "off" on the right front so I'll be keeping an eye on that for sure.  I really hope this is behind us and I'm planning on shoeing in the spring from now on.  It has yet to be determined if we'll have to shoe all around or just fronts.

I'm buying another used saddle and I'd really like to try it out so I hope Cody is getting back to riding condition.  Mommy's getting a Crosby Prix St. George dressage saddle - yum.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Fingers crossed things will keep improving!