Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Cody's Back - Fingers Crossed



Well had he not gone through what he did this summer/fall/winter I wouldn't notice any difference in the old man.

Went out today at lunch, he was a bit slow and tender in the paddock (nothing new from past winters). Ran around the arena and rolled. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being completely sound, he'd be a 9-9.5 and that might just be how he is normally.

Pretty sure he's exactly how he was last winter, maybe a little stiff but I don't think he's feeling the foot thing any more at least on good footing.

So I did a little ground work and a little free lunging and then spent quite a few minutes getting him to stand still at the mounting block before I hopped on bareback (while he was walking away I might add). I might have picked a not great day to be on bareback with just the halter as the ice was sliding off the roof - whoops. He startled once and I startled once. But we survived. Only rode around for less than 10 minutes probably. Just walking and then worked on some turns on the forehand and haunches and some backing up. He's a lot more responsive bareback with a halter. I think I'll ride like that more often I think it makes me less naggy and more precise. And definitely not in his face.

So yay to that, it was a good day.

No comments: