Monday, August 05, 2013

Second Ride Out on the Farm

Another weekend out at the farm so during naptime I snuck out to see the boys and go for a ride.  Cody was much calmer about me removing him from the paddock this week.  Might have something to do with the fact that Haji and Axel stood on the other side of the fence right next to him while I tacked up.  It was slow going for most of the ride away from the barn.  I decided to go down to my inlaw's farm a mile down the highway.  Once we got past a few blocks of paved crossings, it was ditch the whole way.  Cody wasn't super thrilled but he plodded along, only turning for home a few times, and those time he was pretty calm about it.  None of his old spinning and trying to bolt for home.  We have a few little spurts of canter but not too much.

When we got to the farm everyone was either napping or out doing stuff so we headed towards my trailer to grab all the fly masks.  When Cody saw the trailer he thought this horrible trail ride was over and made a bee-line straight for it.  Heh poor guy.  My next ride to the farm I think I might go out in the pasture with the cows and walk around, start getting them used to horses a bit.

The walk home was in a whole new walk gear.  A really nice gear at that.  Wish we could get that kind of walk all the time!  But he was calm and it was a nice ride overall.
The flies were horrible so I threw the fly masks on everyone fully expecting to never see them again.  They're all in pretty poor shape so it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Surprisingly when I went to feed Saturday everyone was still wearing them.  I took them off overnight and then Sunday it was raining so I left them off.  When we had gone Saturday morning to feed Haji didn't come up to the barn.  Fearing the worst we went on a search to find the old man.  Turns out he was hanging out on the other side of the grove between the trees and fenceline.  Cody and Axel must have left him there and he couldn't figure his way out.  He followed me like a puppy through the down branches and back to the barn.
Sunday we drove by and all three of the horses were standing at the fence line.  Really makes the grove look huge when there's a horse standing there.

No comments: